World Smokefree Day 2013
The key messages for 2013 are:
“Quit now, it’s about Whānau”
“Working towards a smokefree New Zealand 2025”
“Make the 31st of May your Quit Day”
"Supporting our future generations to be smokefree"
World Smokefree Day is a World Health Organisation (WHO) initiative, with the main purpose to inform the public of the dangers of using tobacco and to mobilise people around the world to claim their right to health.
In 2013 World Smokefree Day
in Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand has been expanded to include a full month of events and activities that will focus on supporting Smokefree areas in our homes, communities and workplaces, and offering support for those who want to quit.
- Smoking causes enormous harm in our communities.
- The average age of smoking uptake in Aotearoa New Zealand is 14 and a half years old.
- We need to take action now to minimise the harm caused in our communities from Tobacco use, and restore the health of our Whanau.
“It’s about freedom. It’s about whānau and being there for those you love.”
“Take up the challenge and take a step towards a smokefree Aotearoa and quit smoking on 31 May, World Smokefree Day.”
- Auckland Mayor Len Brown 2013.
How you can get involved:
- Wear a green shirt on the 31st of May to show your support for World Smokefree Day.
- Quit smoking today, or be the support that your whanau, friends and colleagues need to take the step quit today!
- In New Zealand 42.2% of smokers are Maori, 26.9% are Pacific people. If you would like help to quit and you are Maori, there are face-to-face services available, for example Aukati Kai Paipa.
- Add the Quit Smoking image to your email signature, the image is here
- Help your workplace, school or club to go Smokefree in time for Smokefree Day May 31st visit (smokefreeschools)
- Add to the momentum of removing tobacco from sight at retail stores (protectyourchildren)
- Encourage your council to increase the number of outdoor spaces that are Smokefree (smokefreecouncils)
- Make the most of the World Smokefree Day 2013 resources:
Follow these links to a calendar of events and activities you can get involved in your area (calendar includes events throughout Auckland City):
World Smokefree Day information for organisers
World Smokefree Day (known internationally as World No Tobacco Day) is on 31 May each year. World Smokefree Day is all about celebrating and working towards smokefree/auahi kore lives for New Zealanders. It is a great opportunity to celebrate successes (both for individuals and your organisation) or to initiate new smokefree directions. The following are some ideas for World Smokefree Day activities.
Check that you have plenty of Auahi Kore/Smokefree signage and resources to support your staff.
Encouraging staff to complete the e-learning (or other training) on this day.
Review or publicise your smokefree policy. Click here for Sample Smokefree Policy Template.
Encourage clients and staff to set their own goal, start with trying to go smokefree for a day, or a few hrs and link them to a quit card or smoking cessation provider for support.
Offer alternative activities/distractions such going on an organised walks, setting up a smokefree peer support group with their colleagues, setting up a Heart beat challenge in the workplace.
Celebrate achievements or new directions with a staff BBQ, shared lunch or recognition for those who have quit.
Encourage staff and service users to seek support to quit on that day.
Collect and share individual’s success stories.