Auckland Regional Public Health Service (ARPHS) provides public health services to the population of the Auckland region, which includes a rich diversity of communities. However, we recognise the special place that Pacific communities have and the unique challenges they face. We are committed to help reduce inequalities for Pacific peoples, working towards better health and wellbeing.
We deliver services that have an impact on Pacific communities such as communicable disease control, food safety, BCG vaccinations, education around environmental hazards, drinking water, health promotion programmes, healthier housing and many more.
Our new Pacific Quit Smoking Service has been specifically developed to meet the needs of Pacific smokers, and their families, who want to quit. Our service is provided free of charge for Pacific people who live or work in the Auckland and Waitemata District Health Board areas. For further information click here.
ARPHS has developed a range of resources and documents aimed at Pacific people, families and communities. These can be obtained by clicking the link in the downloads section below or through ARPHS Resource Centres.
Working together with Pacific people : Vaka Ola
Vaka Ola is a supportive group for Pacific staff within ARPHS. It promotes Pacific values and nurtures the knowledge, skills, capabilities and talents of its members.
Vaka Ola literally means canoe of life. For ARPHS’ staff, it represents the journey of Pacific people to New Zealand, the journey of public health and wellbeing and the journey of developing Pacific staff.
- Traditional tattooing [Samoan] (PDF, 714.70 KB)
- Traditional tattooing [English] (PDF, 611.69KB)
- Hepatitis A Fact Sheet (PDF, 151KB)
- Malaria Fact Sheet (PDF, 44.6KB)
- Measles Fact Sheet (40.87KB)
- Dengue Fever Fact Sheets:
- Cook Islands Māori (PDF, 191.70KB)
- Fijian (PDF, 190.26 KB)
- Samoan (PDF, 217.58 KB)
- Tongan (PDF, 193.92 KB)
- Customary tattooing guidelines May 2009 (PDF, 643.22 KB)
- Submission for Housing Strategy: Pacific Health (176.33 KB)
- Tongan Gambling full report (PDF, 1.49 MB)
- Tongan Gambling download by chapter
- For brochures on ARPHS's Pacific Quit Smoking Service